What is Geotoxic?
Geotoxic refers to a substance that can damage the DNA of cells and cause mutation or mutation or cancer.
Anticancer drugs have a geotoxic effect and can cause secondary cancers, which limits their effectiveness in treating cancer. Consumption of saffron together with sirokurcomin (an active ingredient in turmeric) has a synergistic protective effect against the geotoxic effect. Studies show that saffron has the potential to have anti-geotoxic and anti-cancer effects and can be used in combination with chemotherapy drugs.
In experiments on laboratory mice:
- Due to its antioxidant properties, crostin protects the liver of rats against the destructive effects of aflatoxins.
- Saffron and crocin can prevent kidney oxidative damage due to ischemia in mice.
- Saffron may be useful for local cerebral ischemia due to its antioxidant properties.
- Crocin can also prevent the death of neurons and have a protective effect.
- More information on Medicinal Plants Quarterly Year 7 Volume 4 Serial Number 28 Fall 2010